Effective School Year 2013-14, the Public Schools Athletic League (PSAL) will introduce new student-athlete eligibility requirements.
The goal of these new requirements is to increase graduation rates and academic performance of students participating in PSAL. Under the new requirements, students who are eligible for and participate in PSAL for all four years of high school will obtain 44 credits and will graduate. Under the current PSAL eligibility rules students participating in the PSAL earn 36 credits which does not keep them on track to graduate in four years.
The new requirements are the product of an intense year-long collaboration of key stakeholders, including principals, athletic directors, and coaches. The specific revisions are outlined below. We request that principals please communicate with and inform athletic directors, coaches, parents, and students of these new requirements as soon as possible.
All of the requirements and changes summarized below will go into effect in September 2013 (with the exception of the 10 Credit Rule, which will go into effect as of February 1st, 2014).
The 4+1 Rule
- Student must pass four credit bearing subjects and physical education.
New Academic Rule
The 5+1 Rule
- A student must pass five credit bearing subjects and physical education
- 3 of the 5 classes must be major subjects. CTE classes may not be counted as majors
- A senior programmed for 4 or 5 classes who fails one class, in his/her senior year, will be eligible for PSAL so long as the failed class is not required for graduation
The 8 Credit Rule
- A student must accumulate a minimum of eight credits for the two semesters prior to the eligibility period not counting PE.
The 10 Credit Rule
- A student must accumulate ten credits for the two semesters prior to the eligibility period not counting PE. (Effective February 1, 2014)
GPA (Grade Point Average)
- There is NO current requirement for GPA
- Student-athletes must achieve a passing GPA at time of eligibility evaluation.
- The athletic director may submit a Request for an Eligibility Review of a Student-Athlete when extenuating circumstances exist. The principal must approve this request.
- Students currently must achieve a minimum of 80% attendance at the end of each marking period.
New Attendance Rule
- Students must achieve a minimum of 90% attendance at the end of each marking period.
- Currently, 9th grade students who transfer are not automatically eligible for one year.
New Transfer Addition
- 9th Grade students who are granted a transfer will be deemed eligible.