PSAL at Madison
What is PSAL?
The Public Schools Athletic League is an organization that promotes student athletics in the public schools of New York City. It was founded in 1903 to provide and maintain a sports program for students enrolled in New York City public schools. The PSAL serves both boys and girls. PSAL holds competitions in a wide range of indoor and outdoor sports in fall, winter and spring seasons. In 2007, the league included 185 schools involving nearly 2,400 teams.
The mission of the Public Schools Athletic league is to provide opportunities for educating students in physical fitness, character development and socialization skills through an athletic program that fosters teamwork, discipline and sportsmanship.
Why should I join a sports team at Madison?
Joining a sports team is a great way to make friends, get involved in the community and develop your sportmanship/athletic skills. Aside from the enumerable health benefits from sustained physical exercise, our athletes develop leadership skills through positions such as team captains and by demonstrating good sportsmanship on a regular basis. Eligible students competing on certain teams are exempt from taking a required gym class, thus freeing up their schedule during the school day for other endeavors.
Who is eligible to join a sports team?
All students are encouraged to apply for a spot on a sports team, provided they meet the general requirements for membership as well the specific requirements for their chosen team(s). All students wishing to apply to a sports team must:
- Submit a medical form signed by a doctor.
- Maintain an overall academic average of 75% or higher. Students on a team may not fail any academic subjects. Students whom fail one or more academic subjects may be removed from their team, or be placed on probation until his/her grades improve.
- Maintain a clean disciplinary record.
- Possess strong moral character as demonstrated by good sportsmanship and being a team-player.
- Certain teams require that prospective players complete a tryout.
- Be willing to travel to off-site games, practices and competitions.
- Commit to the necessary amount of time required for the team. Students must be able to manage their academic courses while participating on a team.
Who should I contact?
Mr. William Dumont
PSAL Athletics DirectorJames Madison High School
(718) 758 - 7254[email protected]
To visit the official PSAL website, click visit http://www.psal.org